Tuesday, June 23, 2015

on slowing down and making toast


Most mornings, Hayden and I get a chance to make breakfast together. Our favorite breakfast of late is poke-y (also known as over-easy) eggs  and toast. I make the eggs, he handles the toast.  As any momma of an almost-3-year-old will tell you, we are in a very independent stage- Hayden wants to do everything himself, no help from Momma, please and thank you. 
I watched my sweet boy as he carefully untwisted the bag, counted out 3 slices of bread and put them in the toaster oven, spaced out just so. He closes the door and then turns the dial on the toaster. He wraps the bread up again as best he  can and then asks me to open the fridge so he can put it away in its  proper drawer. Then he watches the bread get toasty. Once the toaster dings, he opens the door and waits for me to put his piece on his plate ("Because it's a little bit hot, Momma.")  I put  a dollop of peanut butter on his bread and hand him the butter knife so that he can spread it around. He then asks for a little jelly on top. He spread this around with equal parts precision and messiness. 
Everything in this process is so single-minded, precise, and intentional. Yes, it's an incredibly simple task, but unlike so many of the tasks in my life, he's doing this one thing and one thing only. He's not checking a recipe, and unloading the dishwasher, and making a mental grocery list, while bouncing a baby on his hip... just making toast. Of course, motherhood is often synonymous with multitasking, but what if  I could slow down and focus on one thing at a time, some of the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...