Monday, June 15, 2015

my village


Forever, the proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child" (which always makes me think of Hillary Clinton) has stuck with me. I remember hearing this when I was nowhere near being a mom and asking my own mom what it meant. Even though she explained it, I didn't really comprehend fully until I had my own babies. More than ever before, this saying and the chance for me to gratefully and gracefully accept help in all forms means so much to me. 
Here are some near and dear to me that make up my village...
My husband, of course- my co-parent and support system who seems to always step in at the perfect moment.
My sister who stops by on her way home from work to bathe, cook for , clean, rock, and read to my babies.
My mom who uses her time off work to host Hayden for playdates and sleepovers and also gives me so much encouragement and support as a mother. 
My mother-in-law who always has advice, reassurance, and empathy.
My aunt who offers to watch Hayden for a few hours every week so that I can squeeze in a little extra work.
My best friend, who easily steps into the role of caring for my babies each time she visits.
The server in the restaurant who lifts my toddler into a high chair, when I'm carrying the baby.  
My playgroup mommas who will take care of one of my babies, when my arms are full with the other- who hold and care for my kids as they would their own.
My neighbor who drops off dinner when she knows that the kids are sick and my husband is on a business trip.
The momma at the park that shares her wipes, when I have forgotten to pack mine.  
The mommas on Facebook, this blog, and Instagram that commiserate, share stories, offer advice, and lift me up each day.
The strangers on the airplane that give us a warm smile and a kind comment after a flight with our babes. 
Every day I am reminded that I am not alone in this motherhood journey. This village of mine is not traditional in any sense of the word, but I love it so. It lifts me up on the hard days and rejoices with me at the happiest moments. It understands and places great importance on the seemingly insignificant moments that make up a typical day for a momma: potty-training...6 straight hours of sleep... teething...tantrums and terrible twos...the delicate balance of work and home... first foods and first nights away... big boy beds and breastfeeding woes... These women (and men) some of whom I will only ever have a passing interaction with have each left an imprint on me as a mother- and I could not do this without them. The kindness of these people overwhelms and humbles me on a daily basis. So to all of you in my village- thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...