Monday, December 22, 2014

Baby Girl Update

Last week I went in for my 36 week appointment and they checked her position. The doctor found that Baby Girl was breech and immediately told me that she would be scheduling the ECV (version) procedure at the hospital for next week to try and turn the baby. 
If you haven't heard of an ECV it's a procedure where they push really hard on your belly from the outside to try to get the baby into the downward position for birth. It has about a 50 percent success rate and has to be done at the hospital in case the baby goes into distress and they need to do an emergency c-section. If it doesn't work, they schedule a c-section for 39 weeks.  
Needless to say, this wasn't news we were expecting to get. I assumed I would have a similar birth experience to the one I had with Hayden and go into labor naturally. I had a different doctor in the practice than anyone I've had before and she didn't explain much about my options or the risks involved and I was too shocked to ask the right questions. 
So this weekend I've been feeling scared and nervous and a little stressed with the thought that there is an outside chance baby girl could be here next week. I spent the weekend washing baby clothes, packing hospital and Hayden bags, and trying to get the nursery thrown together, albeit a little haphazardly.
I know that there are some doctors that are willing to deliver a baby breech naturally, but I don't think anyone at our practice does that. There's also a lot of success stories on the internet of women who were given the same prognosis and their babies turned on their own by 39 weeks. So I'm not giving up all hope that I can avoid the c-section. In the end we want to do what is best for our baby. I'm scheduling a call with my regular doctor as soon as I can today to talk about the options and come up with a game plan. If we decide to do the ECV, it will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday because we are supposed to have it done between 36 and 37 weeks which is a tight timeline  with Christmas this week. 
Anyway, I know this is definitely a first world problem and in a few weeks time we will have our happy, healthy baby girl regardless of how she comes into the world. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel a little scared about everything. If you wouldn't mind sending a few prayers our way this next week or so. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...