Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WAHM: One Year In


It's been a year since I finished my teaching job and transitioned to being a work-at-home-mom.  We took a little while to get into a good rhythm and to figure out how to manage baby needs, home needs, and work demands, but we are making it work every single day and I love this life- even on the hard days (which are few and far between!). 
In the beginning, I was really nervous about trying to do any work at all when Hayden was up- I would ask my sister to come over and watch him so I could take a 30 minute call or work for a a couple hours uninterrupted, but  then she got a job and I figured out how to manage on my own.  We've always had some form of childcare/help for the 2 days a week that I go into the office for collaborative meetings, but other than that it's just the two of us. 
I try to work as little as possible when he's awake, which means my working hours can be a little unpredictable and unusual- 5 am to 8 am in the mornings, 1pm - 3pm in the afternoons, and anytime after 8 pm. Sometimes weekends too. I occasionally have conference calls and phone meetings when he's up but everyone I work with knows that I work from home with him and many people also have a kid on their end too- so it works.
I actually really love what I do- I get to be creative, I get to work in the field of education, and I get to interact with people on a daily basis. There are very few days this past year where I've wished that I didn't have to work at all. I'm more than grateful for the way that everything worked out. It's always been a dream of mine to stay-at-home with our baby and we really are making it work. Nick has been a huge help in the transition as well- sometimes getting off work early so I can take a video call, taking Hayden out some evening if I need a break or need to get something done, handling the bedtime routine solo when I have a deadline at night, always willing to pick up dinner or clean the kitchen and being really understanding if he comes home to a messy house. 
So, yes. This WAHM thing is working out splendidly.  We get to go to library story time, the park, take long walks, play in the backyard, be part of a playgroup,  take smoothie breaks and read 10 million books a day, and still am able to work at the same time. Some days naps are cut short, Hayden is grumpy, or the house feels chaotic,  but most of the time it's just really great and I'm so happy for this opportunity. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...