Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014: Goals, Thoughts, and Resolutions

This year, I decided to make a list of things that I want to try and do everyday- kind of like a check-in at the end of the day to keep me on track.
  1. Be present. I realized that working from home means that I need to be strategic about how I divide up my time. When I try to work, take care of Hayden, and do something around the house, nothing gets done well. So, when it's Hayden time, I put my phone away, leave my laptop in the other room, and focus on him. It also means working hard and efficiently when it's time for me to work too. Another aspect of being present is to focus on the here and now. It's easy to wonder about the future, or think "what if" but being present reminds me to be grateful for everything in my life right now. 
  2. Be organized.  Stick to my to-do list, keep things simple and organized to make our lives run more smoothly.
  3. Take Lucy out everyday.  This is a good goal for the whole family. Now that we have a yard, we sometimes get "too busy" for our nightly walks with Lucy. However, it's good for everyone if we make it out for a walk or run each day. 
  4. Make healthy choices. Instead of committing to losing x number of pounds, or cutting this or that out of my diet, I just want to be able to say that I made healthy choices each day- whether it's a run, or a smoothie, or choosing to go to bed early, I want to focus on being healthy. 
  5. Be kind. Hayden is so much more observant these days and I want him to see his parents setting a good example for him by showing him how we are kind to each other and to everyone we meet. He already is the sweetest with his hugs and kisses and sharing with others, but we want to make sure that he continues to see and hear kindness everyday. 
  6. Be open. I think that as a type-A planner, it's hard for me to let go and be open to ambiguity. However, I let go last year and I'm in such a happier place, career-wise. God has a plan for my life and it will happen with or without my meticulous planning. 
Anyway, those are my "resolutions." I like that they aren't so strict that I will feel like giving up if I don't accomplish something. Instead, they serve as daily reminders to help me focus my life a little bit better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...